According to statistics, every third German citizen complains of back pain at least once a year. Fortunately , in 90% of those affected, the symptoms disappear within a few days. However, you can take various measures to strengthen and protect your back in order to prevent annoying back pain.
Build enough exercise into your everyday life
It is recommended to spend half of the working time in a sitting position and a quarter each standing and moving. You can achieve this by, for example, making a call while standing and using the stairs instead of the elevator . Vary your sitting position by sometimes sitting upright and sometimes leaning back. If you use public transport, just get off one stop early and walk the rest of the way.
In between, build exercises into your everyday life
You can easily integrate small exercises that strengthen your back into your everyday life, as they only take a little time. Many exercises can even be performed in the office chair. The so-called bending and stretching exercise, for example, is an easy exercise: Stand up straight with your feet shoulder-width apart. Now, with your arms outstretched, bend your torso forward until your fingertips touch the floor. Stand up again, stand on your tiptoes and stretch your arms toward the ceiling. You should repeat this exercise daily.
Visit a back school!
Taking a course in a back school can give you a good introduction to your own daily back program. Here you will be taught various muscle exercises that will strengthen your back. You will also learn how to have a healthy back.
Tips for a healthy back in everyday life
- Avoid a bent back, always carry and lift with a straight back.
- When bending down and forward, it is advisable to bend your knees and not arch your back.
- Keep the weight to be carried close to your body and avoid (generally) one-sided loads.
- You should never stay in the same position for more than 30 minutes. Vary your posture to help relax your muscles.
- If you have to sit a lot, you can relax your back by leaning back every now and then.
- Your chair should have a straight or slightly forward-leaning seat and a slightly reclined backrest.
- If you are overweight, you should try to lose weight to protect your joints and back.
- Make sure you have enough relaxation. Here it can also help you to learn a certain relaxation technique.